Thursday, June 9, 2011

Non-Challenge Days 6, 8 and 9!

Okay, so I'm a little all over the place here, but I'm playing catch up from yesterday and I actually just thought of a response for Day 6, so bear with me...

Day 6 – When was the last time you tried something new? What was it and what was the result?

I had a really hard time with this one... that's the main reason for the delayed response. I did come up with something that's relatively new for me though: Driving. I know many of you probably can't imagine not driving or knowing how to drive. Jen is the same. She learned when she was 15 and got her permit the day she turned 16. She's been driving more than half her life. While I did go and get my permit as a teen, we didn't have a car and I never did my test to get my level 1 license (we have a weird graduated licensing system here). Anyway, when Jen was pregnant we talked about it and decided I should go back and get it. It wasn't hard to get the permit, and over the course of the year I did all the classes and whatnot and got my license in November, about two months before The Bean was born. I still don't drive a lot and I've only driven on the highway once, but it's a start.

Day 8 – If you had to teach something, what would you teach? (If you DO teach, when did you discover your love for teaching/the subject?)

Like a number of other bloggers that seem to be participating in this non-challenge, I DO teach. I'm a Senior Kindergarten teacher at an independent school. I've taught SK for four years now, and for two years prior to that I taught Pre-Kindergarten. I love what I do. I always did a lot of work with children and decided towards the end of my high school career that I wanted to go into teaching. I got accepted into a great Ed. program. I spent two years following my graduation trying my darnedest to get a teaching job and found it next to impossible. I subbed and tutored and nannied and did pretty much all other related jobs that I could and FINALLY got hired by the school I still currently work for.

Day 9 – What is the most important lesson you learned from your own mother (or other primary caretaker)?

My mom has taught me a lot of things. The most important thing she taught me is hard to articulate. I guess in a nutshell it was to be independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment