Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Catching Up

Sorry for the radio silence this week the past week or so.  Things were really busy and now I'm having such that awful rib/back pain that just about everything seems impossible.  Anyway, I'm hoping things get back on track soon.

Here's a few things I've been thinking about lately:

  • Last Thursday I met up with a parent of one of my students from last year.  She is a super-lovely woman and I adored her daughter.  Anyway, she asked how I was filling my days now that I'm not teaching.  I replied that the days just seem to fill up and pass by quickly.  Which they do.  I find it quite surprising actually.  I meet up with family and friends and go for walks more often.  I do a lot of piddly things around the house.  And yes, I'm definitely spending more time online --browsing, reading, commenting.   It makes me wonder how we got everything done when Jen and I were both working and thinking I should have something more to show for all this extra time.  Yet, with two months until Sprout's arrival, it doesn't seem like an ideal time to start something new.  So, I thought I might try taking on something small.  I contacted the local elementary school to see if they would like a volunteer once a week or so.  Still no word back.  I think I'd really enjoy it if they do seem receptive to the idea though. 

  • Inspired, in part, by rlg's post about reconnecting with her partner, Jen and I decide that once a week we will forego watching television and listen to a podcast our favourite radio program, This American Life, instead.  It's still media-consumption, but it feels different than watching a TV show.

  • The Bean continues to amaze us with his language explosion.  I know everyone must be sick of hearing about it, but he is adding multiple new words and phrases every day.  It just blows my mind.  He has also started singing which I think it one of the cutest things ever. 

  • The other big Bean update is that we have stopped giving him a pacifier.  It's been close to a week now, and is going fairly well.  He didn't used cry (usually) when we put him down for a nap or bedtime, and he is now, but it only lasts a few minutes before he settles.  We had discussed how to approach this, particularly with the new baby coming, for a while and were undecided on what to do, then one night Jen just said, "I'm not giving him a Nuk tonight", and that's been it.  We've read warnings about them interfering with speech and orthodontia and wanted him off them completely by age two.  Looks like it'll work out.  Hopefully by the time Sprout is using them (if she uses them) he won't be interested anymore. 

I guess that's about it for now.  Tomorrow some photos from our visit to the pumpkin patch!

7 comments:

  1. That's a great idea to volunteer at the school.

    Erik was a soother kid (addicted!) and we were thinking the same thing about wanting it gone before Ian was born, which we did manage to do with very little fuss. I'm glad it's going so well for the Bean and it's probably good that you've gotten rid of it now when he's still a bit younger. All habits are harder to break the older they get.

    It's funny, while Erik was addicted to his soother, Ian never wanted one at all - even though we tried to make him want one because WE wanted him to have it. LOL. It's so much easier to soothe them when they have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cute about the language explosion. I never tire of hearing about things like that. I'm trying to get as much exposure as I can. (I have very little exposure to children/babies at all. It's little terrifying, but my wife is a pro at kids so I'm relying on her knowledge to help us through things.)

    Thank you for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Bean being a no paci big boy! I think that volunteering at school would be great for you. I hope the rest of the pregnancy is relatively pain free. I am getting so excited to see little Sprout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got me worried about the soother now! Q uses it but T doesn't (she quit at about 4 months). How does it delay their speech development? She only uses it at night and at nap time. Does that make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the delay comes in more with kids who use it all the time so that they're speech is hindered by it, not so much ones like Q and The Bean who only use it when sleeping, but still, we wanted to try to get him off it.

      Delete
  5. I accidently deleted Caitlyn's reply:

    I second the love for This American Life! And while it is still media time, I find that when my partner and I listen to podcasts, we're much more engaged- continually pausing because it reminds us of a relevant topic we want to discuss, etc. Happy listening! (And as a lurker, thanks for the in-depth pregnancy info! I'm glad I'll feel more informed about what my partner is experiencing when the time comes.)

    Sorry Caitlyn! And thanks for delurking!!

    ReplyDelete