Sunday, May 5, 2013

Book Review: And Then It's Spring

And Then It's Spring
by Julie Fogliano
Illustrated by Erin Stead


We picked up this book as a part of The Bean's Easter gift.  It was one that I had heard of and had been meaning to check out for a while, so I took a chance and ordered it.  I'm really glad that I did.  It's lovely. 

This is a very simple text, with a single sentence on most pages.  It is all about the hopefulness that accompanies the planting of seeds and waiting for them to grow.  It is also about patience.   
The language is almost poetic and a little above The Bean's level of understanding, but he understands enough to get the point of the story.  (I also believe it's a good thing to expose children to language that is a little above their level.  But I don't intend to discuss that right now.  If you're curious as to why ask and I'll explain my thoughts in the comments.)   

The illustrations in this book are stunning.  Simple and full of small details.  The Bean loves looking at them as I read and pointing out the things that he sees.  ("Look Mama, birds!"  "Look Mama, a worm!")  We talk about things like why the bunny is sitting next to the little carrot sign.  And the first time we read it, when we got to the last page he let out an audible "Ooh!"  Really, how can I not love the book after that?  

I'd definitely recommend And Then It's Spring to anyone with kids who are about 3-6 years old. 

(FWIW  -I just showed Jen this post and she says she likes the illustrations, but does not like the writing in this book and would not recommend it.  To each their own.)

5 comments:

  1. I love seasonal books likes these. We have these: http://www.novanatural.com/seasons-book-set.html They are season books with no words, just gorgeous pictures of the various things you do each season. They are wonderful. Are there companion books to the one you have? I'd love to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not that I know of. I'll have to look at the Nova Natural books.

      I'm going to try to do some updates like this a little more regularly so I'll try to make sure I get some seasonal books in there. :)

      Delete
  2. I am all about book reviews so will be looking for more to come if you decide to do more. Little Monster is currently obsessed with the books If I Could Keep You Little and The Little Blue Truck (a gift from this great family in Canada....wink wink), but I am for sure going to check this one out.

    I am like you, I believe in reading above a child's age to them. Little Monster even grabs my college text books and will ask me to tell him "the big words" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! The pair will be coming out with another book called "If You Want to See a Whale" tomorrow- it is not about the seasons, but it has a similarly lovely, dreamy feeling.

    Jen might want to check out the book Erin Stead with her husband, A Sick Day for Amos McGee. It is just as gorgeous, and she won the Caldecott Medal for the illustrations. She also did one called Bear Has A Story to Tell, which covers fall to spring- so cute!

    Some other seasonal books I adore:

    Fletcher and the Falling leaves
    The Year At Maple Hill Farm
    Bear Wants More, Bear Snores On, etc.
    The Bear's Winter House

    I am looking foward to reading more of your book reviews!

    - your children's bookseller reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have "A Sick Day for Amos McGee." I was actually planning on reviewing it too. :) I hadn't heard about "Bear Has a Story to Tell" or "If You Want to See a Whale" though. I'll definitely have to check them out!!

      Thanks for the other suggestions too... I know some of them, but not all.

      P.S. Lucky you to have such an awesome job!!

      Delete